Our Hiawatha Family Academy is a six-week program for families of our scholars. It’s a way to share and develop knowledge with parents on how to best help young scholars excel academically, prepare them for college, and keep our school community moving forward.
- We provide parents with resources and tools that empower them to make the best decisions for their children’s K-12 education and beyond.
- We teach families how to advocate on behalf of their child in the educational system and in other systems that they may encounter.
We accept a maximum of 60 parents per academy. Lunch and childcare are included.
Spring and Fall dates for Family Academy are posted on our Parent Calendar. Families will also be notified through student newsletters when it is time to register.
To enroll, contact Shannon Gavin, Family Engagement Manager, 612-578-5198.
“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” –Nelson Mandela
Our Family Academy Provides Parents with:
- Tools for goal setting for themselves and their children
- Opportunities to partner with Hiawatha on their children’s education
- Skills to identify and deal with systems of oppression in their lives and their children’s
- Resources for selecting the right college(s) to apply to
- Tips on applying to a college or university
- Tips on the enrollment process for higher education
- Resources for scholarships, loans, and grants
- Skills to support their children after they have gone off to college
- Trusted partners in guaranteeing their children’s success
- And much, much more
Parent engagement is critical to a child’s academic success so we require parents to be involved in school activities during the year. Parents will be notified of opportunities for involvement by teachers and through our newsletter. Sample opportunities include parent engagement meetings, volunteering in the school, and serving on an event committee.